Wednesday, March 16, 2011

cabbage soup recipe

People ask me how I keep such a lean, svelte physique - yeah right.  I tell them it is because all I eat is cabbage soup.  Seriously though, a few weeks ago I tried to change up my diet.  I started by trying a cabbage soup diet; consisting of fruits, vegetables, some lean meat and cabbage soup.  It is a weeklong diet, and it was a great experience.  After the first few days, in which I consumed less than 1000 calories each day, I realized I hadn’t consumed so few calories in almost 30 years.  I also realized I have never deprived myself of anything.  It was tough, but made it through the week.  I am back to enjoying some of the foods I love.  I just don’t eat pizza and nachos every day anymore.  Also, I did find that I really liked the cabbage soup. 

What you will need:

2 med to large onions
2 small cans diced tomatoes, any kind (I like the special ones roasted/roasted garlic n onion/ jalepenos, etc)
1 bunch of celery
1 large green pepper
1 head of cabbage
1 pack of onion soup mix
Garlic

Heat some olive oil in pot.  Rough chop onion and throw in some garlic.  Mix up garlic and onion a little bit to get the good onion and garlic smell going.  You just want to cook these up a little.
Rough chop the celery, green pepper, and cabbage and toss in pot.  Throw in the two cans of tomatoes and stir in onion soup mix. 
You will want to cover all the vegetables with liquid.  I will put in about a cup of chicken broth, and fill it up the rest of the way with water.
The vegetables should be covered with liquid.  Bring to a boil, then turn down heat, cover and let simmer for 2-1/2-3 hours.

This soup comes out chunky.  I am not a huge fan of vegetables consistency, so I prefer to blend it so it will come out more of a tomato soup consistency.  It’s nice this way to drink out of a coffee cup.  You can throw a little parmesan cheese on it for some extra flavor.

This soup is supposed to burn more calories to digest, than what you take in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment