Friday, February 25, 2011

Springsteen Tix

After I won, I called my wife and said, "I just won Springsteen tickets!!"  My wife replied, "why would you want Springsteen tickets?"  I told her that was fine if she didn't want to go because I didn't think I was going to have a hard time finding someone to go with me.  I called my Mom, who is a big Springsteen fan and said, 'Mom!, I just won Springsteen tickets!"  She mentioned she saw he was going on tour again, but the
closest place he'd be to Iowa City, Iowa was Kansas City.  I asked if she wanted to go.  She said "Would I ever, and I even have frequent flyer miles".

The rest, as they say, is history.  What a great weekend it turned out to be with My wife, my mom and me.  We had a blast.  On Thursday, when her flight got in, we had dinner at Strizis.  Strizis has turned out to be a place where we always go when my mom is in town - she says they have great Pinot Grigio wine among other things! 

Friday night at Oracle arena was the concert. I think my mom new more words to the Springsteen songs than I did.

Saturday we watched the young Iowa Hawkeyes beat Michigan state in OT in football.  Then we went wine tasting.

Sunday my mom made us bacon and eggs for breakfast while I watched some NFL.  Since my mom always wanted to go to Sausalito, on Sunday we made the short trek up there for the  afternoon.  Luckily, she took pity on me after a while and didn't insist I walk in and out of the shops.  My mom offered me an escape by suggesting I just go to a sports bar and watch football.  I remember thanking them for the offer, did not ask "are you sure?"and was gone so fast I left tire tracks on the pavement. 

I think that night we watched an old musical - probably Seven  Brides for Seven Brothers or South Pacific -
two of my mom's favorites. Not sure which. In the morning we got up early to take my mom to the airport.
What a great trip and a great week-end all from winning those Springsteen tickets.  Thanks Murph and Mac and KNBR!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. make sure to watch this with the video at fullscreen. i can't believe that those first 2 idiots voted for the guy singing in the upper register -- his pitch royally sucked.

    ReplyDelete